Overview of Aboriginal Non-Fiction
The links on this page are PDF versions of classic non-fiction works primarily focused on the historical, ethnographical, and anthropological disciplines which are now in the public domain with full text made available by Project Gutenberg. Aboriginal peoples represented in these selected works are primarily within North America (Canada and the U.S.). Note: only text is reproduced. Any accompanying illustrations published in previous editions are not included and does not include the original pagination. To find a brief summary of each book, hover your mouse over the individual links.
Note that most of these books were written and published prior to 1923. Some were written by Indigenous people and others were written by settlers of European ancestry told on behalf of the Indigenous peoples they were chronicling. As these works were products of their time, they may contain language or depictions of Indigenous people that are antiquated by today's standards. As always, read with a critical mind.
Aboriginal Crafts & Customs
- "A Further Contribution To The Study Of Mortuary Customs Of The North American Indians"
- "Aboriginal American Weaving" by Mary Lois Kissell
- "Indian Games: An Historical Research" by Andrew McFarland Davis
- "Introduction To The Mortuary Customs Of The North American Indians" by H.C. Yarrow
- "Navajo Silversmiths" by Washington Matthews
- "Navajo Weavers" by Washington Matthews
- "The Dance Festivals Of The Alaskan Eskimo" by Ernest William Hawkes
- "The Sun Dance Of The Blackfoot Indians" by Clark Wissler
- "Dahcotah: Or, Life and Legends of the Sioux Around Fort Snelling" by Mary Eastman
- "Hiawatha And The Iroquois Confederation: A Study in Anthropology" by Horatio Hale
- "Policing The Plains: Being the Real-Life Record of the Famous Northwest Mounted Police"
- "Seven and Nine years Among the Camanches and Apaches" by Edwin Eastman
- "The Abenaki Indians, Their Treaties of 1713 & 1717, and a Vocabulary" by Frederic Kidder
- "The Character And Influence Of The Indian Trade In Wisconsin" by Frederick Jackson Turner
- "The Euahlayi Tribe--A Study of Aboriginal Life in Australia" by Langtoh Parker
- "The Mide'wiwin or 'Grand Medicine Society' of the Ojibwa" by Walter James Hoffman
- "The Siouan Indians: A Preliminary Sketch" by W. J. McGee
- "The Soul of the Indian: An Interpretation" by Charles A. Eastman
- "The Substance of a Journal During a Residence at the Red River Colony" by John West
- "Thirty-One Years On The Plains And In The Mountains" by William F. Drannan
- "Three Years On The Plains: Observations of Indians 1867-1870" by Edmund B. Tuttle
- "Two Months In The Camp Of Big Bear" by Theresa Gowanlock and Theresa Delaney
- "When Buffalo Ran" by George Bird Grinnell
- "A Treatise On The Six-Nation Indians" by James Bovell Mackenzie
- "Aboriginal Remains in Verde Valley, Arizona" by Cosmos Mindeleff
- "An Address, Delivered Before the Was-ah" by Henry R. Schoolcraft
- "Cessions of Land by Indian Tribes to the United States" by C.C. Royce
- "History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of Michigan" by Andrew J. Blackbird
- "Indian Nullification of the Unconstitutional Laws of Massachusetts Relative to the Marshpee Tribe"
- "Life of Tecumseh, and of His Brother the Prophet With a Historical Sketch of the Shawanoe Indians"
- "Report by the Governor on a Visit to the Micmac Indians At Bay d'Espoir" by William MacGregor
- "The Aboriginal Population of Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, California" by S.F. Cook
- "The American Indian as Participant in the Civil War" by Annie Heloise Abel
- "The Composition of Indian Geographical Names" by J. Hammond Trumbull
- "The Conspiracy of Pontiac and the Indian War After Conquest of Canada" by Francis Parkman
- "The Red Man's Continent, A Chronicle Of Aboriginal America" by Ellsworth Huntington
- "Winnetou, the Apache Knight Jack Hildreth Among The Indians" by Karl May
Share A Link!
Have suggestions for materials that should be added to this page or other pages on our LibGuides? Use our submit form below and we'll review it for inclusion!
For general feedback, please use the "Feedback" form on the bottom of this page.
Other Guides to Check Out
- "A Collection Of Gospel Hymns In Ojibway And English" by Anonymous
- "Alaska Indian Dictionary" by Charles A. Lee
- "Dictionary Of The Chinook Jargon or Indian Trade Language of the North Pacific Coast"
- "Indian Linguistic Families Of America, North Of Mexico" by J.W. Powell
- "Sign Language Among North American Indians Compared With That Among Other Peoples And Deaf-Mutes" b
- "Sketch of Grammar of the Chippeway Languages" by John Summerfield
- "The Dakotan Languages And Their Relations to Other Languages" by Andrew Woods Williamson